Joined: Nov. 2003
||Posted: Nov. 16 2003,17:12
Ok, I promised to give directions on setting up wvdial. You can go into files and modify them using your choice of editor, but author was so kind to give a setup script. I will give step by step instructions even rawest newbie can follow using the script. Well hopefully. This is for version 0.4.10 Probably work on other versions.
1. boot dsl either from cd or hardrive.
2. right click anywhere on blank space of desktop.
3. left click apps
4. left click system
5. left click PPP/wvdial
6. left click modemconfig
7. enter the number of com port that your modem is on
8. press enter
9. press enter
10. repeat steps 2 thru 5
11. left click pppconfig
12. type in "y" without quotes
13. press enter
14. replace 010700192070 with your isp's local pop number, not using any dashes or spaces. (To do this read about using vi editor. You use arrow keys to manuever cursor. Delete key to delete text. Esc key after deleting. Insert key before typing new text. Esc key again. When thru editing everything on this page, then type :wq and press enter. This saves all your changes.)
15. replace the word, username, with the username your isp assigned you. This may be in form of email@example.com or may just be joeblow. You get the idea. Same as you would use in KPPP dialer or in DUN on winblows.
16. replace the word, password, with the password your isp assigned you. Remember when thru editing to press ESC then type :wq to save changes.
17. Now you are back to page asking if you want to edit pap secrets. Type y and enter.
18. Scroll down in pap secrets to:
* debian "" *
root * "internet" *
root arcor "internet" *
arcor * "internet" *
Leave all punctuation in place!! Replace the word, arcor, with your isp username. Replace the word, internet, with your isp password. Remember this is still using vi editor commands as when editing previous page.
19. Scroll down to:
debian * password
Replace the word, password, with your isp password. Dont forget to press ESC and save changes by typing :wq and pressing enter.
20. You are now back to selection page. Type n and enter if you dont need to see the previous pages over again. Have to do this twice.
21. Back to desktop, repeat steps 2 thru 5, then click wvdial. A wvdialer box should appear and connect you to your isp. Once connected, minimize dialer box, dont close it. Closing it disconnects you.
22. Now going thru steps 2 thru 5 again then left clicking floppyconfig lets you store the settings on a floppy disk. Same command also lets you restore them on a new boot. Handy for booting from cd. Your settings mostly will remain if you have hardrive install. One bug will force you to tell it once again which port you have modem. No biggie, just rerun modemconfig. Then you can connect.
Hope this helps.