Joined: Oct. 2006
||Posted: Nov. 08 2007,17:49
First you need GTK2 itself - Either 'unc/gtk2-0705.unc' [14M] or the newer 'unc/gtk+-2.10.9.unc' [16M].
Contains: GTK2 libraries bundled with other misc libraries.
Second, you need a GTK2 version of Firefox. At present, we have 'uci/firefox-22.214.171.124.uci' [8.4M].
So in total, at least 22M of downloading is needed to get Firefox working.
After that, installing Flash 9 is comparatively simple:
1. Download flash 9: Link [2.5M]
2. Extract 'install_flash_player_9.tar.gz' by:
3. Copy 'flashplayer.xpt' and 'libflashplayer.so' into this directory: '/home/dsl/.mozilla/plugins/'
|Code Sample |
|tar -xzf install_flash_player_9.tar.gz|
If this directory does not exist, you can create it yourself:
|Code Sample |
It would be best to save all the above files onto your hard disk, so there's no need to download them again.
You can also download MyDSL extensions directly, without using the MyDSL Panel, from the MyDSL webpage: http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/damnsmall/mydsl/
You can download the files with Firefox. Or, you can use 'wget' from the command line:
1. (Firefox) Right-click file link; 'Copy Link Location'
2. (terminal) 'cd' to the directory you want
3. Type 'wget', followed by: Paste the link from Firefox by pressing Shift+Insert. Press enter.
If things go as planned, I hope to submit a stripped-down GTK2 extension sometime next month (December), containing just the few GTK2 libraries that Firefox et al (Thunderbird etc) needs, with a size of about 2.0M. This should make things easier for those who just want a working Firefox+Flash.