Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Various notes
1. After installing DSL, my screen resolution was only 800 x 600. Installing firmware-amd-graphics fixed the problem (I'm able to get my native resolution of 1280 x 720).

2. My Wifi uses the Broadcom BCM4313 driver. Connman shows that wifi is powered, but I'm unable to connect. Connman's "Wireless" window shows nothing. I can connect using AntiX. A method you suggested didn't help:

$ iwconfig
lo   no wireless extensions.
eth0    no wireless extensions.

$ ifconfig wlan0 up
wlan0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device

3. Many options in Control Centre seem to do nothing at all, e.g. Edit JWM, Set Date and Time, nothing appears under Drivers and Maintenance, etc. I don't know whether this is a bug or you simply haven't installed these functions yet.

4. I get this error after using apt (I get the same error with AntiX):

(desktop-menu:3532): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 16:34:59.859: gtk_icon_theme_get_for_screen: assertion 'GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
Writing Menu: jwm
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/desktop-menu", line 477, in <module>
    build_menu()
  File "/usr/local/bin/desktop-menu", line 313, in build_menu
    process_menu(menu)
  File "/usr/local/bin/desktop-menu", line 219, in process_menu
    icon = find_icon(entry) or default_folder_icon
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/local/bin/desktop-menu", line 148, in find_icon
    if icon_theme.lookup_icon(appicon, icon_size, 0) and not no_gtk:
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'lookup_icon'

5. Programs I installed (firefox-esr, libreoffice, etc.) don't appear in the menu; I tried using "Refresh Menu".

6. Anecdotal testing shows that DSL is just a little "lighter" than AntiX x64.
Thanks for the feedback Yan.

1) May I know the specific computer you are using please?
2) Could you please install network-assistant and see if that helps you get wifi working?
3) Yeah, a lot of the applications had pretty large dependencies and I need to figure out exactly how to handle that. Meaning scrap the antiX control center all together or modify the code to call lighter alternatives.
4) Yeah and part of the reason why 5) is a thing.
5) The antiX menu update system is still in place, but being bypassed with a custom menu. You could see the changes in .fluxbox/menu and .jwm/menu. I was having issues with the antiX menuing sytem and just hand made the listings to what I perceived as a rational order. If you are going to do a lot of altering from the default setup you may want to just replace my entries with the antiX defaults which are still siting in the window manager systems. I will try to come up with a more elegant solution.
6) That would make sense, the underlying system is antiX, and the main changes I've done are to reduce size and applications ram footprints, not ram use of an idle system.

Please let me know about 2) and how it works out for you. I have room in the iso to include network-assistant in the next alpha release.
I have an Acer Aspire One 522 netbook (I've upgraded to 2 GB of RAM). The AMD C-50 APU has a Radeon HD 6250 adapter.

Installing network-assistant didn't help. I have a different wifi adapter than the one mentioned in the link.
I installed network-assistant, but I didn't realize that I had to run it. Oops. After running it and rebooting, wifi now works. Thanks.
Great! I will throw it in the next alpha release.